The following is from WTAE News:
CANONSBURG, Pa. — Fire ripped through the landmark Sarris Candies in Canonsburg early Friday morning.
The two alarm fire inside the facility on 511 Adams Avenue broke out shortly before 7 a.m. Friday, when some flames and heavy smoke poured from the perimeter of much of the roof of red brick building. 911 told Channel 4 Action News they believed everyone inside was able to get out safely. There are apartments on the second floor where the building was on fire, but it’s not clear if the fire began in one of those units or in the business below.
Sarris Candies is a specialty chocolate and candies company based in Canonsburg. The business has been a local family owned and operated business for more than 50 years. In a post made on Facebook and Twitter, the owners of Sarris Candies are thanking their customers for their prayers and kind words now that a fire at the business has been extinguished.
According to Sarris’ website, Frank Sarris, who died in 2010, started the candy business in 1960 by making chocolates in the basement of his home. By 1963, Frank had outgrown his basement, so he built a small candy shop next door to his house. Five years later, the house was demolished to make room for an even bigger candy shop. Approximately 200 people work at the business.