A professor at the University of Pittsburgh posted a link to his Twitter feed Thursday that caught me by surprise. It’s a positive story about the Mid Mon Valley by Laurent Belsie of the Christian Science Monitor. The article mainly focuses on Charleroi but also mentioned are Donora, the City of Monongahela and Washington County. A few people and businesses you might recognize are:
- Casey and Eric Clark, Perked Up Cafe, Charleroi, Pa.
- Corelle Brands (formerly World Kitchen), Charleroi, Pa.
- Mark Alterici, Dee’s Wireless., Charleroi, Rostraver and Washington, Pa.
- Michael Coury, River House Cafe, Charleroi, Pa.
- Tony Bottino, Allstate Insurance, former president of the Monongahela Area Chamber of Commerce, Monongahela, Pa.
- Edward Zelich, Superintendant, Charleroi Area School District
- Louis Panza, Ceo, Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll Township, Pa.
- Jamie Protin, economic development consultant
I have an issue with the title: “In Steel Country’s River Towns, a Rising Spirit of Recovery“. Wouldn’t you say that’s about 30 years out of date? “Fracking Country” might be more like it now a days.
I’m so happy for Casey and Eric at Perked Up Cafe. They have a beautiful, thriving business and they certainly deserve the recognition!