Yesterday’s post, Transfiguration Church Through The Years, with 282 views in 24 hours was a pretty popular one. Nothing in that post would have been possible without coming across a physical copy of the Diamond Jubilee publication. It got me thinking, how would I have been able to write such a detailed post about the church’s history without it?
I had stumbled across this amazingly well written resource purely by accident. In addition to church history it has a great section about the history of the Monongahela. It would be one of the first publications that I would recommend to somebody interested in local history.
While watching the building housing Vocelli Pizza burn I noticed this old sign painted to the side of the building. I asked around and found that for many years Harris Workingman’s (spelling?) Store was located here. Do any readers have more information about the store? What kind of merchandise did they sell? When did it open for business, when did it close? Who owned it? Do you have any memories or experiences related to the store that you would like to share? The building has since been torn down.
Main Street Monongahela is still closed today between 2nd and 3rd streets two days after the fire that started in Vocelli’s Pizza.
According to bystanders, this piece of heavy equipment arrived early this morning to start the demolition:
One bystander said that the driver was waiting for the road barriers to be removed. As of 2:30 p.m. today the equipment was gone and no demolition had begun. Was there some kind of miscommunication between the authorities?
Rumors as to the cause of the explosion have run the gamut between a gas leak and drugs being made at the site but as mentioned above nothing has been confirmed due to the instability of the buildings.
This fire started at 222 West Main Street, Monongahela Pa. (where Voccelli’s Pizza is located) around 5 a.m Sept. 6, 2009. The fire spread to an adjoining building occupied by Hufnagel Computers. The building occupied by “The Bees Nest” sustained heavy damage when weight from water used to combat the fire caused the roof to collapse. I spoke to a man who lived on the second floor of 222 W. Main and he said that he heard two explosions before the fire started. Two firefighters were also injured in the blaze.